Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bicycle Adventures

I took Isabelle out for her first ride on her bicycle. Her brilliant father bought her a five-speed, which he can't put training wheels on. But we gave it a try! I warned her, "Nobody learns to ride a bike with falling off and getting hurt once."

Off we went. After half an hour she had more directional control, and a little bit of balance. Woopee. Then just as we decided we were done for the day, the inevitable spill happened.

Isabelle barely scratched her knee. Her father, however, in his effort to keep her upright, tripped over her bike and caught all his weight with his outstretched thumb. I don't think I broke it, but I haven't been in this much pain since I don't know when--probably the time I drove a splinter the size of half a toothpick up under my thumb nail.

Isabelle composed a poem for me:

Bikes crashing,
Babies flying,
Daddies crying.

2 comments:

wordwitch said...

Ah - but your typing seems unaffected...or did you type two-finger style? And tell Isabelle she is a wonderful poet!!

Brian Wightman said...

Fortunately it's my left thumb, so I don't need it typing, but I do need to be careful of reaching for the out-of-the-way keys on the left side.